On the Dutch Caribbean BES islands, MHC offers tailor-made care for a wide range of different psychological and psychiatric problems, in combination with problems in other areas of life (such as, social life and work life). Our starting point is ambulatory (outpatient), based on a demand-oriented and recovery-supporting approach. The F-ACT method is used to offer the most appropriate care.
MHC can treat adults with a combination of the following complaints, (among others):
- Substance abuse or dependence
- Confusion, being unable to think and talk in an orderly manner
- Having bad ideas (delusions)
- Hearing (voices), seeing, smelling, feeling or tasting things that are not there (hallucinations) or having bizarre thoughts
- Recurring conflicts with other people
- Extreme feelings and mood changes, or feeling no emotions
- Impulsivity, and/or aggression
- Worrying too much (without reason)
- Recurring unexpected anxiety attacks
- Feeling tired or exhausted
- Often thinking about death
- A burned out, empty feeling
- No energy to do anything
- Problems sleeping or insomnia
- Difficulty concentrating
Always first discuss the complaints and a possible referral with your general practitioner (GP).
For treatment of single psychological complaints such as anxiety or depression, cooperation with independent psychologists on each island is sought. They may be referred to for appropriate care. Depending on the capabilities of a client, support in residential counseling and detox is also possible at Sentro Nos Perseveransia on Bonaire.
What do we do? F-ACT
When there is necessity for more intensive treatment or long-term care due to psychological or psychiatric problems and/ or addiction problems, a broadly composed multidisciplinary F-ACT team provides outpatient care.
In a F-ACT team, various care providers work together: psychiatrist / doctors, psychologists, social workers, (social) psychiatric nurses, case managers, experiential experts and job coaches. They may be involved in treatment simultaneously or alternately.
The acronym F-ACT stands for: Flexible Assertive Community Treatment. The most important characteristics are:
- Clients are supported in getting a better grip on their lives, on what they want to achieve, on reducing complaints, and on organizing practical help in daily life. For the latter, we maintain intensive cooperation with other care institutions.
- Family and environment are involved in the care.
- If necessary, clients are looked up in their own environment (outreaching / outpatient care).
- If necessary, the intensity of care can be greatly increased. The team is responsible for keeping in touch, with a case manager as the director.
- There is 7 x 24 hour availability
The F-ACT team works as best as possible in an outreaching and ambulatory manner, to treat the client in his own environment. Sometimes more steps need to be taken to provide the best care. Admission in a clinic is usually the last intervention to set in. Sometimes we cannot avoid admitting clients, and these admissions take place in:
– Fundashon Mariadal on Bonaire,
– Capriles Clinic on Curaçao,
– PAAZ SEHOS on Curaçao,
– PAAZ Aruba,
– Mental Health Foundation on Sint Maarten.
The F-ACT team also offers consultative support to health care partners and systems around the client. On St. Eustatius and Saba, of the F-ACT method is used as best as possible to offer the most appropriate care.
For treatment, a referral from the doctor (GP) is required (standard referral letter).
Location and contact information
See below for address details of the different locations.